Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Koda Started Physical Therapy Today

Today was a big day for Koda. He started physical therapy at The Canine Rehabilitation Center. He was excited to leave the house, but when we got to the car and he realized that he was actually leaving he didn't want to go. He's been locked up inside. I think he's getting a little anxiety about leaving the house now.

When we got to the center, he figured out that it was a vet's office in about 30 seconds. He got scared and tried to climb up in my lap. Typical Koda nowadays. When we got in the room, he was still shaking and hiding behind the chair I was sitting in. I really wish I would've gotten pictures. The place is new and nice. The rooms are big and have mats. The vet came in and she was really nice. She sat on the floor with Koda and I and she went over everything. There was nothing too knew. We went over the injury and the healing process. I was once again warned that he has a 50% chance of blowing the ligament out in his other knee. We went over supplements and diet. I automatically loved her because she would stop mid-sentence and tell me how beautiful Koda is. She kept oohing over him. She got on my good side really quick. It's going to take Koda a bit more time to trust them after what he's been through.

She told me that Koda's quads are really tight from holding up the leg, but that he looks really good for only being three weeks out. He went into the hydrotherapy tank. I was surprised. He did really well. He hopped right in, because he had no clue what it was. I'm not sure if he'll do that next time. He stood still, no whining, while the water filled up, and he kind've didn't know what to do when the treadmill started but he got the hang of it quickly. I stood in front of the treadmill encouraging him to touch my hands with his nose to get him to walk. He kind've fell back when they sped it up, but he got back on track pretty quick. He only spent three minutes in there, but he didn't try ad run out when it was over. All in all it was a good experience.

After the treadmill, we laid on the matt together for his cold laser therapy treatment. This was a little bit trickier. I'm not sure why they make that thing beep over and over again. He wasn't into that and started to shake a little.

Next time that I get there, I want the tech to take a little walk with us. I want her to engage Koda a little bit more so he can become more comfortable with her. The tech is who we will be working with for the next five sessions until the vet comes back and sets Koda and I up with our at home physical therapy regimine.

There was one kind've cool thing. The vet said that it was good that Koda stretches his leg out straight all the time. I'm going to try and use the clicker to teach him this is a good behavior. If I can teach him to stretch on command then it would help us before and after treatments. As well as when he's all better and we can start hiking again!!

5 weeks left and Koda can get out of the expen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment