Friday, August 26, 2011

Supplements, Medications, and Physical Therapy

Quick little update on Koda. He's doing great! He's still on expen arrest, but he has succumbed to being in the pen as his daily destiny. He goes out to potty, and these are usually three 5 minute walks around the complex. We take it really slow and he barely limps. I have stopped helping him walk by holding the handle on the harness. He's on his own. I only grab it and take some weight off of his leg if the walk goes past five minutes because he's trying to find the perfect spot to poop. He does cry a little everytime he goes number two. I'm not sure if it's the leg or his bootie that might hurt a little. He doesn't limp or show more pain afterwards. Poor Koda would be mortified if he knew I tell all of his business. He does have a scab at the top of where his stitches were. It's still red. I'm going to have my mom check it tomorrow.

I've gotten a few emails asking me what Koda's restrictions are, his medications, and what supplements I'm giving. When Koda came home from the hospital he was prescribed Tramadol. I also asked for Metacam just in case he had a reaction to the Tramadol. I didn't want to have to drive back later. Have I ever posted that his surgeon's office is a mile and a half away from my home? I sounded lazy when I typed that. I just didn't want to have to leave him.

Koda did not do well on Rimadyl when he was prescribed that the first day our usual vet saw him for lameness. He had GI issues that kept both of us up all night, and he became a complete jerk to strangers. Koda's always been laid back, but on Rimadyl he started barking and growling at people. I know this isn't a listed effect of the drug, however my surgeon's office said they had heard several owners claim the same side effect. His attitude problem went away once we stopped the Rimadyl.

Since Koda came home the same night, I also asked for a sedative and was given Acepromazine. This is how I feel; you're spending a good amount of money on the surgery, ask for all of the drugs you can get to make them comfortable. I have only had to use Ace twice: the night he came home and two days later when my neighbor's jerk dog tried to go after him. I only gave him a half of a pill each time. The stuff is potent.

The first few days I gave Koda Metacam at night, and Tramadol 2 times a day. After three days, the morophine left Koda's system and he was in more discomfort. I then gave him 3 Tramadols a day for 3 days. After that I went back to 2 times a day. After the two week mark, I went back to the Metacam giving it to him in the morning. I did have to give him Tramadol on Wednesday. He was panting in the evening and wouldn't settle down. Since then he's only needed the Metacam. It does seem to calm him down which is nice. Although Koda is a really chill dog inside the house. I will continue with the Metacam probably until I run out. Koda's doing really well with walking on the leg. I don't want to stop all of the pain meds and have him go lame. I want him to walk on it and get through physical therapy. Oh yeah, I will probably give him a Tramadol after PT sessions. I'll ask that vet what I should do.

As far as supplements go. There is so much information out there. Yahoo groups like orthodogs and ConservativeManagement have some good resources including lists in their files section and you can search within the messages. With that said, it becomes a bit overwhelming. My head was spinning with the different things I could give Koda: msm , glucosamin/chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, fish oil omega 3's, traumeel, zeel, arnica pellots, passionflower for a sedative, liquid yucca for an anti-inflammatory, vitamin c, e, and d. It's a lot to absorb.

My father has had multiple knee surgeries, and his surgeon has said that he will need to be on fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid for the rest of his life. Koda too will have to be on these for the rest of his life. No one knows what glucosamine does, but it does slow down arthritis and promotes joint health. For now Koda is on liquid glucosamine/chondroitin with msm. He gets 2 T morning/evening. He then gets fish oil, 3 soft capsules in the morning. He gets hyaluronic acid in the evening. He also gets a multi-vitamin with his morning meal. I really hope it helps him to have a healthier life.

Tuesday we start physical therapy. It will be 3 weeks to the day from his surgery. We have a consultation and he will have a treatment. It will either be a cold laser one or hydrotherapy. I'll post more when I find out exactly what his plan will be.

Tomorrow I'll have a new walking video. He is walking so well. When he actually gets the chance to leave his expen.

No comments:

Post a Comment