Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 1 of Koda Being Home

Last night was a long one. After I posted, Koda woke up. He couldn't hold his bladder, and I think the wetness made him wake up. I want to thank right now everyone at orthodogs for the great advice and supply lists. I never would've thought to get plastic sheets! Koda came home potty trained. He's never had an accident, but my poor little man couldn't hold his bladder or bowels last night. I felt so bad for him, but thankfully for me those plastic sheets came in handy. I suggest getting 3 pairs. I went through 2 last night, and had a clean one for him this morning while I did laundry.

After Koda woke up, he started squealing like a pig and freaking out. I put the mattress from the pull out couch on the ground and wrapped him in his plastic, with a flannel soft side, sheet. I laid in back of him and it seemed to really calm him down. While I was laying there, my girlfriend Michele texted to see if I was ok, and I so wasn't! I felt so bad for Koda. She gave me a call, and what really calmed him down was the sound of my voice talking to her. Within a minute, he began breathing normally and went soundly to sleep. I just laid there and held him all night. He woke up at 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, 4, 4:30, 5:30, and 7am. I didn't get any sleep, but by 2:30 the whining had gone to a minimal whimper and all it took was me talking to him and he was right back asleep. By 7 am he woke up and rolled on his back for some bellyrubs. He does this every morning, and it felt good to see him asked for them.

He refuses to try and stand on his other legs. I tried to take him out to go potty, and he wouldn't even help me to stand. I'm hoping that in the next couple of days he'll be willing to go out, but until then I need baby wipes and xlarge training pads.

Oh I also noticed last night that the eCollar was too tight. I couldn't even get a part of a pinky finger in it. I took it off since his incision is covered by the blue stump, and I know Koda he wouldn't even try and play with it. I have to pick another one up today. My mom is coming over in a few minutes to watch him while I pick up supplies and go into the office really quick.

Koda did eat today. Just a little bit of wet food, but he was interested in a chicken pig's ear. He enjoyed that a lot. He won't drink anything, but he'll lick water off of my hands. I'll try some chicken broth later. He also got a Tramadol this morning and is fast asleep in his expen. I know everyday is going to get better. At least he's willing to just rest that leg.

I took a picture of Koda cleaning himself in the crate after his pig's ear. Koda's big on keeping himself clean. He's a lot like a cat. I figured I'd let him do it since the blue stump is protecting his incision. This will be the last time for a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Oh he looks so precious cleaning himself. Little Koda. I hope tonight is better than last night. George and I are sending healing vibes Koda's way.

    ReplyDelete