Sunday, August 14, 2011

We're Starting to Toe Touch!

I feel like I haven't posted in a week, but it's only been 24 hours. We had our first "uh oh" moment. Before Koda had surgery I told every person with a dog, cat, kid that he would be going in on Tuesday and would need a bit of space for a couple of months. No need in him even getting excited around dogs that he likes. Yesterday around 5 pm Koda whined like he had to potty. We geared him up with his Ruffwear Harness, and walked out the front door. Koda stopped and put his nose in the air. He's done this ever since his surgery. He wants to check out what's going on before leaving. Well Koda began to back up, and I should've listened to him. Instead I encouraged him to step outside and walk with me. I was looking down at him talking to him when my neighbor came around the corner with her two poodles off leash! The aggressive one went running towards Koda full attack mode. I looked and she was just standing there watching so I grabbed Koda and picked him up and brought him into the house. Before I knew it, he was running to the bedroom and climbing in his crate shaking. I felt so bad, but even more important I didn't know if I had hurt him. It took a bit for the two of us to calm down. I'll spare you the rest of the neighbor war, and skip to today. I don't think Koda hurt himself. There's no visible swelling or difference in the leg.

Beyond all that Koda has been very calm today and just wanting to sleep. When he did come out to eat, he started touching the leg down rather than holding it all the way up. He's barely touching it to the ground mind you. I'm really excited because I was starting to worry. I don't expect him to walk on a broken leg held together with a metal plate and screws, but it's good to see that the pain may be lessening. He has also stopped laying on that leg like he was right after the surgery. He lays on the other side and has it out. I'm assuming that this means it feels a bit better and that he's not feeling the need to guard it as much.

He wasn't eating this morning, and he still hasn't pooped!!! It has to come out sometime, but I'm starting to dread having to pick it up when it does. This is going to be a doozy. I do hope he poops soon. I think his bootie rash is feeling better. He's not going for it anymore as much, but I'm still applying the A&D. Another great job that I look forward to. Oh the pleasure of dog ownership. The good news is he did eat this afternoon, chicken and cottage cheese, and he's started to drink more. He also picked out a bullystick and chewed on it until he fell asleep again. He's really just been sleeping today.

I got to get out a bit. The Japanese Cultural Center up the street from my house had their annual fair, and my neighbor and I walked up there and got some food and looked at the exhibits. I figured I'd celebrate Koda's culture without him, and a sushi roll and some tempura hit the spot! We were only gone for about an hour and a half, but it was good. When I got back I took a nap. I'm still tired, although our nightly routine of having Koda lay with me seems to be getting him to calm down and sleep through the night. I think I just need to catch up.

Tomorrow I go back to work, and I'm scared to leave Koda all day. It's just been me and him home all day together. My mom being the great mom she is will come over during the day and spend a couple of hours with him. I'm sure I'll have my cellphone on my desk waiting for her call to tell me he's ok.
Koda's learned that if he lays in front of the expen and doesn't move I'll leave him out for a bit. Here's a still pose of Koda. He's a very smart dog. MENSA's been wanting Koda to join for a long time, but with his busy social calendar it's just been difficult for us to commit. :-p
I like it because he doesn't look like he just had surgery. But he is getting a little thin. Koda didn't have any weight to lose. It's always been a challenge to keep weight on him.

And without further adieu here are his stitches. I have to do it. 9 more days until they're gone!! I think from this point on it's going to be slow and steady with them healing, none of the daily drastic changes I saw before.


This week I'll start to take videos of Koda walking. I think I'll add those weekly.

I hope everyone had a great weekend! It's back to work tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment