Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Goodbye Blue Stump!!

I just read my post from this morning. I was really out of it! Thankfully my mom came over today and let me sleep for a couple of hours. Actually, I kept her here for seven hours. I didn't want to let her go home.

Once we settled down from last night, Koda went into his expen. Strict orders from the surgeon is confinement and only potty breaks for two weeks. He was still pretty out of it, and keeping him in there didn't bother him. I'm sure he would rather me lay with him all day, but he didn't cry often.

The surgeon's office wanted me to take him in today to get the blue stump taken off, but I asked them if my mom, a nurse, could do it. I didn't want to drag him in the car to the vet's where he would flip out. It was nice. He trusts my mom and he just laid there and let her gently take off the bandage while I rubbed his head and belly. It was calm, and that's exactly how I want Koda's life to be during his recovery.

After the stump came off the cone had to go on Koda. After 4 hours of him crying and only letting up for one 15 minute break, I went down to the store to get him a donut. Maybe I should start adding up how much each trip is costing me. Maybe it would stop me from getting nervous and shopping for something Koda must have. The incision looks really good. I was scared to see it, but it's clean and we iced it today. There's no swelling as of yet.

Here's a picture of the incision when we removed the blue stump. It's looking pretty good. I was really scared to see it.

The best news is that Koda was refusing to help me out this morning and try walking with me holding his back legs in a sling. He would let his front legs just go limp, and I had no choice but to leave him with potty pads under him. With the stump off, he went outside on leash and went potty. Of course this left him exhausted, and we're now on our living room floor bed together. He's curled up with his donut on, sleeping peacefully. Now I just need to get him to drink some water. That will be our milestone for tomorrow.

13 days and the stitches will be out!! Let the countdown begin.

5 comments:

  1. Those are nice stitches. Much better than the "dissolvable" ones that were put on my foster's neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are calming down. Every day will get better and better. I guess you didn't follow my advice and get him diapers. Oh well, you are stubborn and I love ya!! Give Koda a belly rub for me.

    xoxo
    michele and george the wonder pug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Koda has diaper rash. I will not say more. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ayk I didn't know about this foster. What were the stitches for?

    I'm really impressed with Koda's surgeon. He has minimal bruising which means the surgeon went in there, did what he had to do, and didn't manipulate it much. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I need to know that he was the best for my Koda Bear. The Prince deserves nothing less than the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember the JA that I was cross-posting? He was with a male Poongsan that had an embedded flea collar. Before I knew of him, he was taken to a discount vet in South (Central) LA and his neck was stitched up with dissolvable stitches that didn't dissolve. To add to that, the skin was rolled such that it created a dirt trapping pocket that caused an off odor.

    It's definately worth it to go to a good vet/surgeon for such things.

    ReplyDelete