Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Time to Set the New Milestone. The Stitches Are Gone.

Koda got his stitches out this morning. He's such a baby about going to the surgeon's office. The second we got in the building, his whole body started shaking. Then he refused to walk into the room. I had to carry him. I'm not going to force a dog with a broken leg to walk. I think the assistant thought I was crazy when I swooped him up and started walking. I've gotten really used to carrying Koda around. When we got in the room he wanted to climb behind me on the couch and hide. I have never seen a dog like Koda. So needy of my protection from everything scary. He's my sensitive boy.

The surgeon acknowledged the red spot on the top of his stitches, and told me to watch it. But he didn't feel like it warranted anti-biotics. He thought it was because Koda has licked it. I think Koda was having  just having a reaction to his stitches. It looks a lot better tonight. I didn't get any pictures. I'll get one tomorrow if it's still there.

**Edit: Here's a picture of Koda right after his stitches came out**


We also got the go ahead for physical therapy. I called their office, but they didn't call me back today. I promise you this, I will bug them again tomorrow! I can't wait to get Koda into some therapy. He's gone from 52 pounds to less than 48 pounds, and he had no weight to lose before the injury. Atrophy has really set in. I have my concerns about Koda's reaction to the water treadmill. He's never been a water dog. But hey he might just end up liking it. That would be great. It gets hot here in California. I'd love it if Koda decided swimming is fun.

I'm not sure what I was expecting today; the surgeon to tell me that Koda could walk around free. It kind've bummed me out to find out that we still have six weeks of the expen at the very least. I'm going to admit that I let Koda out in the evening. He doesn't jump on furniture, just usually lays in my bedroom or by my feet chewing on a bullystick. He just likes to get out for a bit. Sshhh don't tell my surgeon.

The great news is that Koda is walking with barely any limp! He looks better than before the surgery. I'm thrilled. It's good at this early stage to see progress daily. It helps get through the monotony of sitting here and not being able to go anywhere. I did see the post op xrays today of the implants and screws. It was sad to know what exactly is in there. I should call them to see if they will send them to me so I can post them.

Our next milestone is six weeks away. It seems like forever right now, but the last two weeks flew by. I'm hoping the next six weeks will. This is when we go back to the surgeon's office and xray Koda's leg to see if the bones have grown back together and check out all the hardware. It's a shame. I will get to walk him again when it starts raining.

2 comments:

  1. Good boy Koda!

    Don't worry about the water treadmill. Lucy hates water too and she was a champ in the treadmill. If the therapy person is good, they will start him off slowly. They'll put him in the treadmill with no water. Then put a little bit in while you distract him with treats. Then a little more, etc. Once the treadmill starts moving slowly and he's forced to walk and work to get to you for treats, he'll forget all about the water. Remember, Koda can sense your apprehension, so the more calm/excited you are about the treadmill the easier it will go for him.

    Don't forget to get a video of "prissy paws" though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. I'm really excited to get Koda into some physical therapy. I'm hoping that he will end up liking water, but I have to tell you no amount of treats will get Koda to like something or do something when he truly doesn't want to do it. This whole process would actually be easier with Mei than with Koda. I can get her to do anything for a little dried tripe. But I'm optimistic. He is a total prissy paws though. ha ha.
    The place we are going to is Muller Veterinary, http://www.thek9rehabcenter.com/services/canine_rehabilitation.htm#hydro. They've been around for over 20 years, but they just built a new facility, and lucky me it's only a couple miles down the road. Where you get onto the freeway from my place. That's a definite plus, since I don't want to drive around with Koda in the car.
    I'm going to try and stay positive and encouraging. Sometimes I think it's better that I'm not around for these things though. I think he'd be more outgoing and not look to me to save him all the time.

    He is a prissy paws!!!

    ReplyDelete