Sunday, August 21, 2011

2 More Days Until the Stitches Are Out!

It's Sunday evening, and Koda gets his stitches out on Tuesday. I think we are both ready for this. The top of his stitches is looking a bit irritated, but I'm not worried about an infection. I think his body is just ready for them to come out. He's been such a good boy about not touching them, and we haven't had the cone on at all. He doesn't care that they're there. It will still be good to get them out. Once we do, I'm going to have to find a different milestone.

I can't believe it's almost been two weeks! It does seem like we're getting into a different stage of healing. Koda's walking really well. I'm amazed, but with this new comfort with walking comes Koda's desire to get out of the house. I'm holding steady on keeping him in the expen. Even if it means he whines for a half an hour to get out.

For the first time in six weeks, I was able to get out of the house this weekend and spend time with my family and friends. I have to admit, it felt really good. My niece was in town, which is always a welcome distraction. We went to the drive in on Friday. She's so adorable. I love that the drive in gets her excited. She's so easy to please. Then my aunt's came into town tonight, and we had our Sunday dinner. Poor Koda had to stay home rather than coming along like he normally would. I've actually become really comfortable with Koda being left at home. It makes me feel like he's safe. I'm a bit scared to take him in the car on Tuesday to get his stitches out. I'm afraid that he might strain his leg in the car. He hates riding in the crate. I'm worried that he might slip on the linoleum floors at the vet's office. I'm worried that he will hurt himself fighting them from touching his leg. I'm looking forward to the stitches coming out, but I'm not looking forward to the process that we will have to go through to get it done. Oh how I wish my mom could take them out at home. But that's not going to happen. I want to lock him inside and make sure he never gets hurt again. Maybe my next milestone should be me getting over my newly found fear.

I haven't taken pics of the stitches, but I'll get some tomorrow with the redness at top. I did get a video of him walking today though. The kid's looking good! He was pulling on the leash while my friend was walking him, so I had to cut it short. It's funny. He never tries that with me. He knows when someone else is holding his leash he can try and pull stuff like this.


I hope everyone had a great weekend! I can't wait to start week 3 in a couple of days!

3 comments:

  1. He is walking terrifically! Once the stitches are out, that's when the real rehab begins. Did you start looking into rehab facilities yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the vet examining him during the removal of the stitches? If not, I would ask the vet if your mom can remove the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave! I think he's even looking better today.

    Ann tomorrow the surgeon clears Koda for PT hopefully. Otherwise I would probably just have my mom do it. lol. She's been my nurse for years.

    We have a long running practice here in town, but they built a brand new facility just a few months ago. Koda will have cold laser treatments and will hopefully do hydrotherapy. I have my doubts about Koda being cooperative with water involved. We are definitely going to give it a try though. He's lost 3.5 pds. He didn't have any weight to lose, and I know it's part of the process, but I hate seeing him out of shape. A lot of this stems from my own need to be in shape. I'm totally projecting onto a dog.

    ReplyDelete